In agreement with Frank Haberer of Peckville, I say the IRS is an institution which needs to be overhauled by replacing the income tax (additionally, state sales and income taxes) with the value-added tax (VAT). Since a young age and reading, listening, and considering the VAT, I have been fascinated about how much better it COULD be in reducing government costs and open up spending for more teachers, nurses, and others involved with the human element, not the number-crunching of lawyers, accountants and business people (like Trump) who end up corrupt and getting away with thievery. In those years, I learned from a CONSERVATIVE person, not fascist bigot, founder of the CONSERVATIVE magazine, National Review, and producer and host of Firing Line, William F. Buckley, Jr. His program appeared on television so as to provide viewpoints and opposing viewpoints for the audience to consider and to LEARN and GAIN WISDOM. Such media programs 50 years ago were unlike Fox, Newsmax, Breitbart, MSNBC, CBS, NBC, ABC, and other one-side biased media approaches today (even PBS) while the details provided by newspapers is being destroyed. For instance, the deliberate strategy to condense newspaper content and then claim “no one reads them,” has been working and disrupting America as time goes by. Thus, we still have a Scranton newspaper in which we can consider, discuss and challenge not only those who are writing editorials or those who write letters to the editor or the op-ed columnists who run the entire length of the political spectrum. Thus I agree with Haberer that government needs to be reformed, not overhauled and the one issue which needs overhaul is the tax system and the IRS.
To speak in favor of the VAT, the little island nation of Morrocco, made up of mostly wealthy and a monarchy, does NOT have an income tax. It uses the VAT as well as personal real estate taxes. There are other reasons I support the VAT. I have written those reasons over several decades, but everyone thinks in terms of “I’m happy, so don’t upset the apple cart.” It is not the reasoning based on individual rights and happiness only of an individual. It is about recognizing what makes the community and society, with individuals acting responsibly not carelessly (as libertarians promote) to come together and promote life, liberty and happiness among all of us, not just for a few snotty immature brats only, especially those with money. When surveys have been done, Denmark always tops the list for a society with the most happiness. The USA drops to near 20 on the list. That is due to too damn much irresponsibly immature brats with a quest ONLY for individual right. Individual rights for guns when the constitution addresses the rights of the community against a Hitler fascist-style government with censorship of people, as the meaning behind a militia. The problem today are those nasty vicious snotty immature brats with money who spin this issue to make it LOOK like there is something wrong with government when there is often no wrong deeds in it, but the deeds emanating from big business, such as the big rifle company lobby and the NRA in trying to control the government and not to the favor of a major part of the electorate which seeks justice and “domestic tranquility.”
The problem I have with Haberer is his false sense of problems with the United States Postal Service. The same day Haberer’s letter is printed, your newspaper had statistics which prove the TRUE problems of the USPS. Overhaul is a pretty strong word from Haberer. The facts demonstrate what is needed is reform, as proposed in a pending House of Representatives bill. Republicans are likely to work to shoot this bill down, due to those who want an “overhaul.” To me, “overhaul” means to “destroy.” Destroy is a strong word used by Trump, Rick the Prick Scott and Ron DeSantis of Florida, and Rick the Prick Santorum of Pennsylvania.
Goddamn Haberer for stating, “no one supports the John Lewis Voting Rights Act. You insult those of us who must be the “no ones.” You asshole. You had me in support of some of what you said, until I got to that part, you insulting ingrate. You insult those of us who DO support that.
Want me to explain WHY we support it? Some of it is due to the fraud among Republicans in Pennsylvania and New York. Another part of it is the fraud I witnesses, as a registered Republican, in Florida during the 40 years I lived there.
Shall I lengthen this message just to explain? Why not.
1. Sleeping Ronnie in the Cabinet and convert former Democratic Party Mayor, Bob Martinez, along with Jebbie Bush of Miami. The push for a lottery and gambling in Florida was made on a promise to use the money to fund public education. Martinez promised this in Florida when he was a Republican governor of Florida. it never happened.
2. Former turn-coat Democrat, now Republican, Attorney General (also of Tampa) Pam Bondi, looked the other way when it came to identifying election fraud among Republicans.
3. Gerrymandering in Florida was designed to give a stronger voice to the turn-coat Democrats to Reupblican white supremacist rednecks of rural Florida in the inner land more power to take over the Florida state legislature for the purposes of defeating any issues favorable to the black population. Larger black populations in the urban areas of Florida, such as where I once made a home in Fort Pierce, don’t have representatives in the Florida legislature and today, DeSantis of Florida is trying to tighten the clamp even more with more voter suppression of black people, after Jebbie Bush set up a privatized jail system based on numbers of how many black people could be incarcerated in order to remove their right to vote. Profits mean, in such a Sleepy Ronnie in the Cabinet privatization effort, that these people at Wackenhut have to justify numbers in jail beds, so they attack black people. And this merely negates efforts of those who are successful in bringing black people off the streets and teaching them how to be successful at running capitalist businesses. How about if this guy views the programs on Create TV, rather than the shallow entertainment and sensationalist news coverage elsewhere in the media?
4. Now DeSantis wishes to negate overall teaching of history and about sexual identity in the schools. In other words, he preys on the fears and emotional outbursts of people like Haberer of Peckville, rather than teaching us with an overall approach. As a recent magazine article said, what is happening is the destruction of overall instructional coverage. What the article did NOT have the balls to say was that this is the result of white supremacist bigots who live in fear that there are other groups of people in the future who will become more of a majority over white folks. I can guarantee bastard DeSantis that such will never happen for the 10% they figure are gay in the population. It will happen with those of African and Spanish decent. Guaranteed. What will Haberer and DeSantis do then? Or do they simply want to kill off those in opposition to them, as Trump really dislikes those in opposition to him, and expect better results, as was the practice of Hitler. Election suppression is being used so these people can do as Putin does in Russia. Putin, a fascist who comes from the depths of Soviet communism and its form of fascism, with his Russian Mafia in Florida, is helping Trump and the fascist Republicans do this. Most of these people are former Democrats, as was Reagan, Trump, Martinez, Bondi, and many others. It is due to the fact these people are cowards, fearful of not having as much power and bullies who use actions of viciousness and lying to gain power and control over the population. Ultimately, they will destroy anyone who supports them now and won’t give one damn about it.
5. DeSantis wants to attack voter registration people, too, in order to suppress voters.
6. DeSantis and others claim that people in Florida who only live there a few months of the year are voting in states like New York, Pennsylvania and others in the northeast AND voting in Florida. The only time such a matter is important is during a Federal election. But try to gain a law in Congress which carefully monitors such actions on the Federal level by having a Federal registration for voting in presidential elections. If a person votes in a state election in New York and then votes in a Florida state election, what is the problem? They only vote once. My father lived six months in New York and six months in Florida. I am quite certain he voted ONLY in New York where he was a resident. He was never a resident of Florida and never got a chance to vote in local Florida elections. Many times, he chose to vote in New York in early November and THEN head for Florida where he remained until April or so. He lived all those months in Florida and never had a voice in local elections in that state. I know one thing. In 2014, he would have voted in favor of Charlie Crist, not Rick the Prick Scott. Rick the Prick Scott barely won even 50% of the vote. But living in Florida with a father who would not go against the law and take marijuana for his glaucoma, would be a very law-abiding citizen in all things.
With this being said, let me also explain what I witnessed in Florida when I was a registered Republican. A Republican strategy to maintain a one-party state, even with term limits. They found other ways to do it and now people like Haberer, the dumb jerk, does not want such things reformed, including the abolition of the Electoral College. Nothing but snotty bratty immature brats who don’t think and wish the John Lewis Voting Rights Act is “not supported by anyone.” What a foolish brat to insult me and others who DO want this reform. The headline for his letter says, “overhaul” government services. By not supporting the John Lewis Act, Haberer is endorsing the DESTRUCTION of democracy as the backbone of our government.
Furthermore, I witnessed, with all this supposed “fraud” and people voting two times in Florida, once in another state and once in Florida, how is it that the Republicans gained a status of a one-party state in Florida? A one-party state like Putin’s Russia or like communist China or like the former Soviet Union… one party in control of governor’s mansion legislature and the courts?
In fact, I heard more reports of braggarts who proclaimed joyously how they had voted twice for Trump and did so from Florida. They were so thrilled about doing so. I have heard of NONE who did the same thing with Joe Biden. Makes me wonder if it is the same thing in Arizona or other sunbelt states? Notice in Florida, the issue of voting twice in two different states is not plugged as much as in other sunbelt states.
As a poll worker at a recent primary here in upstate New York, a person who voted commented about fraud, saying, “they take the names from gravestones at the cemetery and they use those names for extra votes.” As a poll worker, I an merely state something such as, “we don’t discuss matters like that at the polling place, but why don’t you bring this to the attention of the Supervisor of Elections.” What I wish I COULD have said was this. You see, there are not Democratic Party primaries here, so I know the only people who showed up were Republicans. With this in mind, I have to wonder now about why the Republicans can maintain such a majority in this county in upstate New York? It Republicans are the ones always winning, then it is Republicans who fraudulently take the names from gravestones.
Overall, I think Haberer needs to check the facts before bloviating lies such as the one in his letter and published on Feb. 7. I think more people also need to call such a person on the carpet for the lies perpetuated by people who think Republicans are above the law but Democrats are not, implying that Democrats are just plain no good at all.
Professor Douglas Willet Cornwell (Retired)
Newark Valley, NY
———————————“Love your neighbor as yourself.” “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.” “The problems of the world are not that some people love in a different way. The problems are that so many people don’t know how to love at all (CGA, 1970).” A Puritan is someone in fear that someone, somewhere, is having a good time. “Liberty and justice for all [not priorities on individual and selfish rights].” “Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.” “We the people, in order to form a more perfect union [and overall wealth of American society]…”
Benjamin Franklin: “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are affected.” Stacey Abrams: “Compromise about actions, but not about values.” Oscar Wilde: “I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” Oscar Wilde: “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” Benjamin Franklin: “Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise.” Whoopi Goldberg: “To handle this COVID-19 pandemic effectively, we all need to get on the same page.” Note: To be clear, I do not like being patronized. I do not express my disdain over what happens to my fellow humans just for my own sake and to pursue favors and handouts. I do it in order to gain R – E – S – P – E – C – T for me and for millions of other Americans of any race, ethnicity, religious belief, or sex and sexual identity who try to walk in integrity as they attempt to achieve, life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. PERIOD. One nation under God [our Creator] with liberty and justice for all.