TECHNOLOGY: It’s Humans, Stupid, Not Technology
Technology is a blessing and curse. The Internet is a blessing and a curse. With Spectrum Internet, it is all so slow in loading many items that we are back in the 1950s when it took minutes for a television to begin because of the vacuum tubes in the televisions. Mattered not whether there was an antenna on the roof or “rabbit ear” antenna indoors. The vacuum tube was slow in warming up. Besides, in the 1950s, there was NO cable television. That did not come into the homes, particularly in hilly areas like Upstate New York and Pennsylvania, until the 1960s. The signal was more reliable and not subjected to those who do the hacking.
In the 1960s and later, Castro, with his centrally planned supply side economics, figured a way to “jam” the signals he did not wish for his people to view. It was usually Miami and South Florida signals he jammed, but perhaps there were Voice of America signals he jammed as well(?). IT was not the technology, stupid. It was humans, stupid, who were running Castro’s island and did not wish for the people to have happiness.
In America, we face such “jamming” and removal of our happiness. Many times. Just recently, a favored streaming radio station was “jammed.” Yep. Jelly all over the place (NOT). It was taken off a Favorites list on one streaming service within Roku. When checking another streaming service, it was claimed, earlier this week, that this station would not be available on this other service until Saturday, March 20, 2021. Here we are, today, Saturday, March 20, and where is our favorite station on this streaming service. Returning to the original streaming service to discover if, “we’re back!” The results were that it was not there, but to search it, the station was found once again.
Technology and computers do not take a favorite station away from a listener. It’s humans, stupid. It’s humans, stupid, to do such a thing as this which is comparable to Castro (maybe Hitler book burning, too?) removing happiness of the people and pushing American citizens into a corner of helplessness in the process.
People have more important things to do with their lives than to try to work through such obstacles. With warmer weather here, perhaps we would like to do some outdoor gardening or cleaning up lawns after the snow goes away. Removing our happiness so as to push us into a corner and spend more time trying to solve the problems resulting from hackers. Repeat. Computers don’t just do this kind of crap alone. It takes humans, stupid.
We hear about nations such from South Korea to Taiwan to New Zealand to those on continental Europe where the Internet is not like what is being described here. Do they spend time with Trumpicans fighting with good people. Same thing here. People being pushed into a corner with technological crap of hackers and not having time to work with the things which are best for our lives. Why does the states like New York or Florida or the Federal government providing as good an Internet service as the other democratic capitalist nations provide? WHY? Those nations also have political parties which iron out differences, too. But what the Trumpicans are doing to control the Republican Party and gain a foothold in pushing for a dictatorship is disgusting, as they marginalize voters so they won’t vote and suppress many other voters so they CANNOT vote.
These people are vicious barbarians who cannot win elections unless they carve out voting districts by way of GERRYMANDERING. Gerrymandering has been around for a long time. But at least many states, even with gerrymandering, had a two-party system. Right now, Florida has a one-party state of Republican and has never had a Democratic Party governor since before 1998. The gerrymandering has done that.
Go ahead and say, “well New York State is the same.” BULLSHIT. George Pataki was NOT a Democrat, so at least there were a number of years when it went back and forth between Democrat and Republican. There was a day when Senator Warren Anderson of Binghamton headed the MAJORITY of Republicans in the New York State Senate and TYPICALLY, the Assembly was Democrat. Two-party system with more compromise than what there is today.
WE THE PEOPLE DEMAND:
(1) we rid this nation of gerrymandering
(2) we rid this nation of voter suppression
(3) we stop the marginalizing of voters by Trumpican dictatorial people
(4) stop the (please excuse the frustration and the resulting language) BULLSHIT of lies and coverups done by Trumpicans who hold people’s feet to the fire with retribution if they don’t follow the DICTATOR Trump (and Roger Stone and others)
(5) abolish the Electoral College and replace it with two voting times, one with all parties and the second one between the top two recipients of votes
(6) create capitalist competition through government regulation for the sake of SUPPLY AND DEMAND
(7) acknowledge the role which long term, not just egotistical short term, investments mean and encourage pooled lower-risk investments without a cap on percentage invested so wealthy bastards pay less into FICA (Social Security) and Medicare for all, due to LONG TERM investments in a CAPITALIST system; damn it all, don’t close your minds to what some of us are saying
(8) return to a two or more party system with STATES PEOPLE who are rational enough, on ALL sides, to know how to find common ground and lead this nation
(9) abolish PACs and lobbyists from Congress and government, and stop the trash of people with too much control over our legislators. The PEOPLE should speak, not the damn lobbyists and put Congress on the SAME THING the rest of the nation has for Social Security and Medicare (I said, FOR ALL)
(10) Reform the tax system so as to rid the paper shuffling number crunching business of tax accountants and lawyers, which TAKES AWAY from the productivity for REAL things for America, its economy and its people; sales tax and businesses have to hire people and it cuts into the overhead for the small self-employed business person; income taxes the same consideration as it is a regressive one penalizing Americans from making money or PROFIT (which is called “disposable income” – BULLSHIT ON THAT to those who mock those of us pointing this BULLSHIT out); there was a day when conservatives promoted the value added tax because it was a tax added as a value to every product and this did not mean small business has to account for it and cut into their profit margins; today, there is NO DAMN CONSERVATIVE who promotes this, so I say, you damn bastards are NOT conservatives, you are dictatorial neo-cons.
Wrapping this entire discussion together and we end up realizing that the FCC does a lousy job in regulating media and the Internet because they do it to favor their OWN industry, rather than have THIRD PARTY people who look on and regulate in line with CAPITALIST DEMAND AND SUPPLY. The consumer. As with Castro “jamming” signals for Castro’s benefit only, here we are with a return to the discussion about technology. It’s human hackers “jamming” demand-side access, stupid, not technology.
There You Go Again!
Here it is, 2:15 pm. No Binghamton Press & Sun-Bulletin. Weekend after weekend. Many times, the Saturday edition does not arrive. The Sunday edition might arrive, but late in the morning. That’s better than nothing at all.
Most people on the demand side of this newspaper market would simply drop the subscription. Maybe Gannett would like it if all of us did this?
Calling, submitting complaint by email, and nothing is done. There they go again.
Who is they?
Owego gets the newspapers. Newark Valley does not. The local retail outlets in Newark Valley say they do not get the newspapers to sell. Why?
Over the hill and the retail outlets in Broome County receive the newspaper. Why in this area of Tioga County is the consumer being screwed? WHY? Is the Newark Valley consumer nothing but chopped liver? One time and ok, it is understood. But how many times?
From about 1966 to about 1970 or so, a young kid delivered the Sun-Bulletin in Newark Valley. Those were the years when there was an evening Gannett newspaper (The Evening Press). The Sun-Bulletin was the morning newspaper published by David Bernstein. When Bernstein sold the newspaper to Gannett, ultimately the two became one. The result was one morning newspaper, the Press & Sun-Bulletin.
Young kids could deliver two separate newspapers, Sun-Bulletin in the morning and Evening Press, obviously evening. Those young kids were too young to use an automobile, so they rode a bike most of the year. In the snow, they walked the route.
Sometimes, demanding customers insisted these kids must get the morning paper to the customer before 5 AM because they had to drive to work at IBM. One customer wanting this early delivery may have been separated by about 1 1/2 to 2 miles from another. Obstacles had to be overcome or else the customers would simply cancel their subscriptions. The young kids remained in touch with the customers, often having to go collect the money for the week on a Saturday morning so they could be available to play in the marching band for a football game (sometimes to play JV football on a Saturday).
So, yes, COVID-19 makes life tougher. The question remains, though. If someone has difficulty delivering the newspaper to Newark Valley on Saturdays, then why is it there are not enough others, in this time of high unemployment, who could do a better job? Do others just sit around hoping a check arrives from the government, so why bother? Really? Those kids sometimes did multiple jobs and got money from multiple sources, so “‘splain it, Lucy!”
Oh, well. There you go, again. No paper. There you go again. People on the demand side of the market demanding something better. How dare we do that?
Oscar Wilde: “My tastes are simple. I desire only the very best.”
Commentary, New Comments